Everyone’s heard of the Amazon Echo or Google Home. These smart speakers are officially taking over. According to Forbes, there will be 90 million users of smart speakers by the end of the year. While these smart speakers are relatively new, voice search is not a new concept. Apple’s Siri and Microsoft’s Cortana have been around since 2011 and 2014 respectively. However, it’s only just now that digital marketers have begun bracing for the impact of voice search optimization.
Voice Search is Going to be a Game Changer
This category of voice search is quickly evolving and may affect the world of digital marketing and search engine optimization the way smartphones did a decade ago. It’s expected that voice search will disrupt the marketing world in a more pervasive way and faster than even the increase of smartphones.
Consider the following points:
- Amazon–one of the most influential companies in the world–is dominating the smart speaker space with over 60% of the market share.
- The smart speaker category has drawn attention of the influential competitors like Facebook, Bose, Samsung, Apple, and Microsoft.
- The smart speaker market didn’t exist five years ago. However, 1 in 3 Americans use smart speakers regularly in 2019.
Smart speakers are now transitioning from a significant movement to a part of many people’s everyday life. Voice technology has improved, and some studies report that these devices are 90% accurate. They are also affordable for most consumers, with prices mostly below $100.
The evidence that supports the growth of smart speakers and voice search is hard to disagree with. Voice technology has been quietly and steadily creeping into everyone’s daily life for years now. For example, it’s now a pretty standard add-on with most phones and laptops. In a few years, it probably will be difficult to remember life without it.
Voice Search in Digital Marketing
For all businesses, optimizing your website for voice search won’t be an option for much longer. Researchers are forecasting that by the year 2020, 50% of all internet searches will be voice searches. That’s a hugely telling statistic.
The online search space is still dominated by Google for now, but Amazon is starting to rise up in the online shopping space. About 50% of all product searches begin on Amazon. The success of Amazon is not expected to slow down any time soon; it’s expected that Amazon will be responsible for 50% of all ecommerce sales by the year 2021.
Here are three tips for business owners to follow in order to embrace voice search:
- Educate yourself – Learn about voice search and voice technology inside and out. Most business owners only have a basic knowledge of digital marketing. Get the edge on them by learning as much as you can.
- Prepare to embrace voice marketing – While many trends in digital marketing come and go (think Myspace or keyword stuffing), voice search is not one of them. So prepare yourself to embrace voice technology and voice search.
- Start with a test in 2019 – You may want to test out your voice search optimization or marketing tactics for the rest of the year so that when voice search has gotten too big to ignore, you’re already on top of it.
Turn to an agency
While it’s certainly possible to learn everything you can about voice technology, who has the time to do that? You are most likely busy with running your business. This is the purpose of marketing agencies like us. We are on top of all of the latest marketing trends, including voice search optimization. Contact us today to get started with digital marketing for your business.
WT Digital Agency is an Atlanta marketing agency specializing in brand development, content marketing, social media marketing, website design, SEO, and more. To learn more about what we do, click here.