Having a social media strategy is a vital part of your digital marketing plan. If you already have one, updating and upgrading your social media strategy periodically is important. Here are some tips that will help you to plan or upgrade your social media strategy:
1. Take a look at your current use of social media.
You can’t create a plan or a strategy if you don’t know where you’re starting. Try to objectively ask yourself the following questions:
- Which social networks do you have profiles on?
- Do these make sense in terms of your brand goals?
- Which social networks drive the most traffic to your website?
- Which social networks do you spend too much time on?
It’s better to do one or two social networks really well than it is to have a presence on every single social network.
If you want to find out which networks are actually worth your time, you may want to do the following:
- Take a look at where your competitors are the most active.
- Ask your audience which social media networks they prefer.
- Make a note of the social media networks that are giving you good results.
- Ask yourself which social media networks go with the type of content you create. For example, if you post a lot of pictures, Instagram may be a good place for you to be.
2. Optimize Your Profiles on Social Media
Make sure your profiles are optimized. Make sure they all have great bios. You want each profile to be slightly different based on the network. A LinkedIn profile, for example, is going to be optimized in a much different way than an Instagram profile. Make sure all of your images aren’t outdated. Include any necessary keywords in the “about” section.
3. Set S.M.A.R.T. Goals
Every goal should be:
Set realistic but attainable goals, and get specific about where you want to be at the end of the year.
4. Create a Content Calendar
A social media content calendar is one of the most helpful tools you can have. It can help you to plan and schedule your social media posts. With a content calendar, if there are holidays related to your business, for example, you won’t forget when they are or forget to post about it on that day. It will also help you to stick to a posting schedule that’s consistent.
5. Take a Look at Your Results
It’s important to understand what’s working, what’s not, and adjust your strategy throughout the year. You’ll want to monitor the metrics: your likes, your comments, your shares. Pay attention to what type of content does really well on your social media and post similar content.
It’s essential to have a social media strategy. Follow the above steps to put yours into place.
Are you interested in social media marketing? Give us a call today.